DirectorGriefwork Center, Inc.

New Jersey

Member Since April 2021

Skills

Motivational Speaking
Stress Management
Staff Development

About

KEYNOTE SPEAKER, TRAINER, AND WEBINAR INSTRUCTOR • I am a leading authority and best-selling author on managing burnout, secondary traumatic stress, compassion fatigue, and vicarious trauma. As a nationally recognized keynote speaker, I motivate audiences to build their resilience and create work-life balance. My programs help leaders and teams manage workplace chronic stressors, and get over burnout at work. • Three weeks prior to my giving birth to triplets, my father died by suicide. My story was featured in the Emmy award winning documentary, Fatal Mistakes, Families Shattered by Suicide narrated by Mariette Hartley. Many employees are grieving personal loss. I offer programs for leaders on lost productivity and performance while managing grief at work. • As a sought-after keynote speaker who has presented to over 500 groups since 1991, including corporations, state and national associations and non-profit organizations, I offer work-life balance strategies for leaders to implement right away. With clarity and humor, my speaking engagements are designed to give audiences powerful and practical strategies of work-life balance,, wellbeing, and self-care that can be implemented immediately. • I'm a Board-Certified Expert in Traumatic Stress and Diplomate with the American Academy of Experts in Traumatic Stress. I received a Bachelor of Science in psychology and a Master of Arts degree in community health, with a concentration in thanatology, both from Brooklyn College. • I'm the author of But I Didn’t Say Goodbye: Helping Families After a Suicide (3rd ed.). (2020), and the 30-hour CE course for Nurses, Loss, Grief, and Bereavement: Helping Individuals Cope (4th ed.), and the CE course, COVID-19 Loss, Grief, and Bereavement (2020). I co-authored the Dept. of Justice, Office for Victims of Crime Training Curriculum, Compassion Fatigue. I'm a contributing writer to Thin Threads: Grief and Renewal; Fresh Grief; Coaching for Results: Expert Advice from 25 Top International Coaches; and Keys to a Good Life: Wisdom to Unlock Your Power Within. • Podcasts and Media Appearances: Healing Place Podcast, Results Radio with Shawn Shewchuk, Bear Psychology Podcast, Hope Illuminated Podcast, Positivity Strategist Podcast, Transformation for Success Podcast, News Radio WHAM 1180, M.P.I. Radio by James Allen, The Sanity Project Podcast, Family Circle magazine, Health magazine, Shape magazine, Jennings Wire, CYACYL, WOR the voice of NY 710, FOX Business, Open to Hope TV, TODAY, and others. Email: BarbaraRubel@BarbaraRubel.com Website: www.barbararubel.com

Published content

12 Practical Ways Managers Can Ensure Junior Employees Are Supported

expert panel

Creating a workplace dedicated to employee development helps build a culture that retains and attracts employees. Junior employees rely on their existing knowledge and skills to get a role, but what really helps an individual flourish in their position is support from superiors. From establishing mentorship programs to building a culture that allows employees to explore and grow their skills, leadership support can manifest itself in a variety of different ways.  Creating a workplace that truly caters to the development of employees requires that leaders put in both time and hard work, and the potential results alone make these efforts worthwhile. To help, the members of Newsweek Expert Forum each share one practical way managers can ensure junior employees are receiving adequate training and support to fuel their professional growth.

Want to Authentically Connect With Peers? 10 Ways To Break Out of a Competitive Mindset

expert panel

Building long-lasting relationships with peers requires moving away from competition and toward supporting their successes. In a business setting, it’s difficult not to think of your peers as competition. Whether they are within your immediate team or running their own company with an offering similar to yours, it’s inevitable that you’ll begin comparing yourself to them, assuming that their every success may mean lost opportunities for you. The true reality is that people can occupy the same spaces at the same time without feeling threatened by one another. The first step is recognizing that no matter how similar a situation may seem, no two people walk the same path. To help professionals escape from a competitive mindset and build healthy relationships, 10 Newsweek Expert Forum members give advice on how to connect with peers without comparing yourself to their successes.

11 Tips for Leaders Who Want to Encourage Positive Workplace Relationships

expert panel

Positive, collaborative relationships between colleagues can greatly enhance your company culture. Here's how to encourage this type of dynamic. For most people, work takes up the majority of their waking hours. Whether you're working a 9-to-5 or running your own business, your professional life can sometimes blend in with your personal one, especially when it comes to friendships in the workplace. While it's normal and natural for colleagues to form strong bonds, it's important for leaders to encourage their staff members to forge appropriate and productive connections. Otherwise, they may let close personal relationships with their coworkers cloud their judgment or cause them to play favorites when it comes to working with the rest of the team. Below, 11 members of Newsweek Expert Forum offered their best tips for leaders who want to encourage meaningful but appropriate relationships among their employees.

How a Leader Can Communicate Their Company's Vision and Goals With Employees

expert panel

Without focus on providing employees with clear communication, leaders risk company goals being not achieved.  As a company grows, it’s critical that everyone from the top down has a thorough understanding of what objectives the entire organization is working toward. A leader who prioritizes communicating the vision and goals is essential to ensuring that employees truly feel connected to the work they are doing. However, determining the most effective way to communicate company objectives can be difficult. Below, nine Newsweek Expert Forum members share their perspectives on the best way for a leader to clearly communicate the vision and goals of the company with current and potential employees.

Nine Steps Any Entrepreneur Can Take to Build Their Personal Reputation

expert panel

Establishing a personal reputation can give business leaders a wider reach and influence in their industry. Business leaders invest heavily in their businesses, aiming to build professional brands that resonate with their target audiences. As social media is now a necessary component of conducting business, leaders can now leverage these platforms to construct a personal brand or reputation for themselves separate from their business entity. Though setting oneself apart can be difficult, establishing a personal reputation can give a business leader more reach and influence in their industry. Below, the members of Newsweek Expert Forum share tips on the best way for a leader to build a personal reputation when their work is always top of mind for audiences.

14 Communication Strategies to Connect and Build Influence With Employees

expert panel

Keeping employees consistent connected to the mission and values of the organization means building a supportive work environment. The key to creating a supportive work environment lies in how well the leaders of the organization communicate with their employees. Clear and consistent communication is essential to ensuring employees feel a sense of belonging and are fully connected to the mission of the organization, but communication can no longer be one-sided and reserved for those at the top. Changing how they communicate to better accommodate employees and their needs will allow leaders to build and maintain long-term relationships with the people in their organizations. To help, the members of Newsweek Expert Forum share communications strategies leaders should consider adopting if they want to resonate more with employees and build influence.

Company details

Griefwork Center, Inc.

Company bio

Griefwork Center, Inc. provides leaders in business, healthcare, mental healthcare, and victim services with speaker services to address employee burnout, compassion fatigue, secondary trauma, vicarious trauma, and grief in the workplace. Griefwork Center is led by Barbara Rubel, BS, MA, BCETS, DAAETS, keynote speaker, trainer, and best-selling author. Griefwork Center, Inc. offers knowledgeable, engaging professionals who can speak on a variety of mental health-workplace related topics.

Industry

Health

This member is no longer active.

Do you have important ideas that you want to share with the world?

Click below to learn more about our vetted network of experts and publication opportunities on Newsweek.com.
Explore Newsweek Expert ForumView Membership Qualifications
Newsweek Expert Forum is a vetted professional organization of senior executives, speakers, authors and academic leaders who are changing the world through idea sharing and education.