CEO/FounderGravitas Publications Inc./Nachokat LLC

New Mexico

Member Since May 2022

Skills

Teaching
Public Speaking
Curriculum Design

About

I am the founder of Gravitas Publications Inc., a publishing company that specializes in science education materials for kids. I started writing the Real Science-4-Kids science program over 20 years ago, with the goal of filling in the gap between what kids learn in school and what they are expected to know in college. Gravitas has since grown into a successful publishing company, with products used by educators all over the world. I have always been interested in how things work. As an academic scientist, I spent over 20 years working in biophysical chemistry, molecular biology, and neuroscience. My research focused on understanding the fundamental processes that occur at a molecular level. While I was a post-doc and later a research professor, I noticed a gap between what kids are taught in elementary, middle, and high school and what they are expected to know in college. With this in mind, I began writing the Real Science-4-Kids science program to fill in the gap and give kids the basics of fundamental science. In 2003, I founded Gravitas Publications Inc., with the goal of making quality science education available to all students. Gravitas Publications Inc. has been providing science education content for elementary, middle school, and high school students for over 18 years. With over 130 titles in our catalog, we are proud to introduce students to the language of science from a young age. Our books have won several awards over the years, including the popular Homeschool Reader awards. Our books are used internationally by home schools, private schools, and public schools alike. In 2020, I decided to launch another company, Nachokat LLC. My goal is to help all kids love to learn, not just science. We design and manufacture the RATATAZ science program. I recently had the opportunity to guest-teach this program in a middle school special ed class and watching these kids blossom as they started to learn "real" science was amazing. We continue to refine our RATATAZ program and expect to see more classrooms use this new product. Specialties: science curriculum design and implementation, homeschool curriculum design, science education, homeschool teaching, science teaching, STEM curriculum design and production.

Published content

Why the "Science Is Fun" Approach Isn't Working

article

I believe the key to success is not being entertained, but instead developing skills and accumulating knowledge step by step to make complicated topics easier to comprehend.

Education Expert: Five Ways to Help Students Become Creators and Not Just Consumers of Technology

article

To impact real-world problems, educators must teach kids how to create technology, not just use technology.

16 Leaders Share Business Challenges That Can Double as Teachable Moments

expert panel

Each and every challenge brings with it the opportunity to learn and grow as an entrepreneur. When a leader is dealing with an obstacle, thinking of the lasting value of that business challenge isn’t usually what comes to mind in the heat of the moment. However, once a leader has had time to reflect, each and every challenge has the potential to positively impact their organization going forward.  Below, a panel of Newsweek Expert Forum members share specific challenges business owners faced and how leaders can use those experiences as a moment to learn and make lasting changes.

15 Ways to Make Your Organization More Consumer-Centric

expert panel

If you want a loyal customer base that keeps coming back, you need to put consumers at the center of everything you do. Many companies claim that their customers are their highest priority. While this is a nice thing to say, there's a difference between simply delivering what a customer asks for and truly being a consumer-centric organization.  Today's consumers expect that the businesses they buy from will go the extra mile to ensure an experience that exceeds their expectations. To help your company become more consumer-centric, 15 members of Newsweek Expert Forum members offered their best tips below.

Company details

Gravitas Publications Inc./Nachokat LLC

Company bio

Gravitas Publications Inc. is an independent publishing company and the parent company to Real Science-4-Kids. It began with Dr. Rebecca Woodbury's desire to teach her little ones real science concepts and developed into a passion for helping all kids discover science. Today Real Science-4-Kids is helping kids achieve academic excellence in science in all 50 states of the US as well as Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Europe, Japan and Korea and other countries. Based in Albuquerque, New Mexico, Gravitas Publications has been inspiring the next generation of scientists since 2003. Our vision at Real Science-4-Kids is to help every child learn, understand, and use scientific facts and ideas to solve real-world problems. Our program introduces and then builds upon the basic building blocks students need in order to apply scientific thought and methods to answer real-world questions. We want the Real Science-4-Kids curriculum to reach every child so they can discover that it is possible for them to change the world with science.

Industry

Business

Area of focus

Science Education
Publishing
K-8 Education

Company size

2 - 10